The Benefits of Co-Washing (A.K.A. No Pooing)
If you’ve noticed lately that your hair has started to look dry and dull, then you may want to switch to co-washing or consider eliminating shampoo completely from your maintenance routine. You might be thinking, wow, not washing my hair sounds gross. The reality is that you can still use conditioner to cleanse your scalp and still get great results. In fact, many of the shampoos on the market today contain harsh detergents, which create the foam and suds that we’ve grown to love. The problem is that many of these shampoos strip the hair of its natural oils, and can also make it extremely difficult to detangle. Here are just a few of the benefits of co-washing:
- Co-Washing helps to reduces knots and tangles
- Co-washing will help to keep your hair soft and moisturized, which is especially important if you’re transitioning
- Co-washing is great for hydrating the scalp
Co-washing may not work for everybody, but it’s worth giving a try, especially if you feel you’re not getting the same results that you used to with your old shampoo. Also, don’t feel like you have to completely give up shampoo. Some naturals still opt to shampoo their hair once a month just for the extra cleansing benefits, but find that no-pooing in between shampoos does them just fine.
If you’re interested in giving co-washing a shot, be sure to check out our article on The Top 5 Conditioners for Co-Washes.
If you swear by co-washing or had a bad experience, definitely let us know. Just leave a comment or post on the TGIN Facebook page. We would love to hear from you. For more about no-pooing, be sure to check out my new book Thank God I’m Natural: The Ultimate Guide to Caring for and Maintaining Natural Hair.
- 5 Natural Hair Styles to Beat Humidity and Hide Frizz
- World Natural Hair Show Recap | Thank you for all your support Atlanta!
- Going Gray: 10 Ways to Rock Dyed Gray Hair
- No Heat Stretch Method Using CWK Plates
- Kim Kardashian Under Fire for Calling Daughter North West’s Hair a “Crazy Afro”
- 5 Reasons You’ll Adore tgin’s New Leave In Conditioner for Natural Hair
- 25 Braided Summer Hair Styles for Natural Hair
- 8 Tips for Keeping Your Dry Locs Soft and Moisturized
- Nauturally Flyy Hair Meetup Recap | Thank you for all your support Detroit!
- tgin Summer Sale – 20% OFF Everything Online at www.tginstore.com