The Benefits of Co-Washing (A.K.A. No Pooing)
If you’ve noticed lately that your hair has started to look dry and dull, then you may want to switch to co-washing or consider eliminating shampoo completely from your maintenance routine. You might be thinking, wow, not washing my hair sounds gross. The reality is that you can still use conditioner to cleanse your scalp and still get great results. In fact, many of the shampoos on the market today contain harsh detergents, which create the foam and suds that we’ve grown to love. The problem is that many of these shampoos strip the hair of its natural oils, and can also make it extremely difficult to detangle. Here are just a few of the benefits of co-washing:
- Co-Washing helps to reduces knots and tangles
- Co-washing will help to keep your hair soft and moisturized, which is especially important if you’re transitioning
- Co-washing is great for hydrating the scalp
Co-washing may not work for everybody, but it’s worth giving a try, especially if you feel you’re not getting the same results that you used to with your old shampoo. Also, don’t feel like you have to completely give up shampoo. Some naturals still opt to shampoo their hair once a month just for the extra cleansing benefits, but find that no-pooing in between shampoos does them just fine.
If you’re interested in giving co-washing a shot, be sure to check out our article on The Top 5 Conditioners for Co-Washes.
If you swear by co-washing or had a bad experience, definitely let us know. Just leave a comment or post on the TGIN Facebook page. We would love to hear from you. For more about no-pooing, be sure to check out my new book Thank God I’m Natural: The Ultimate Guide to Caring for and Maintaining Natural Hair.
One Response to “The Benefits of Co-Washing (A.K.A. No Pooing)”
- Thank God It’s Natural Social Media/Marketing Intern Wanted
- Top 5 Brands of Marley Hair for Crochet Braids
- Win Tickets to the tgin Target Launch Party
- Top 10 Natural Hair Salons in Cleveland
- Top 10 Natural Hair Salons and Stylists in Columbus
- Flash Sale: Green Tea Super Moist Conditioner – $9.99
- Tina Knowles Gets Married to Long Time Beau Richard Lawton in Newport Beach, California
- How to Define Curls using the Nudred System
- Hey Atlanta! We’re Looking for Brand Ambassadors for the World Natural Hair Show April 25-26
- Top 10 Natural Hair Salons and Stylists in Denver