The Benefits of Co-Washing (A.K.A. No Pooing)
If you’ve noticed lately that your hair has started to look dry and dull, then you may want to switch to co-washing or consider eliminating shampoo completely from your maintenance routine. You might be thinking, wow, not washing my hair sounds gross. The reality is that you can still use conditioner to cleanse your scalp and still get great results. In fact, many of the shampoos on the market today contain harsh detergents, which create the foam and suds that we’ve grown to love. The problem is that many of these shampoos strip the hair of its natural oils, and can also make it extremely difficult to detangle. Here are just a few of the benefits of co-washing:
- Co-Washing helps to reduces knots and tangles
- Co-washing will help to keep your hair soft and moisturized, which is especially important if you’re transitioning
- Co-washing is great for hydrating the scalp
Co-washing may not work for everybody, but it’s worth giving a try, especially if you feel you’re not getting the same results that you used to with your old shampoo. Also, don’t feel like you have to completely give up shampoo. Some naturals still opt to shampoo their hair once a month just for the extra cleansing benefits, but find that no-pooing in between shampoos does them just fine.
If you’re interested in giving co-washing a shot, be sure to check out our Triple Moisture Replenishing Conditioner and always follow up with a great leave in conditioner! Check out our Green Tea Super Moist Leave in and our Butter Cream Daily Moisturizer
If you swear by co-washing or had a bad experience, definitely let us know. Just leave a comment or post on the TGIN Facebook page. We would love to hear from you. For more about no-pooing, be sure to check out my new book Thank God I’m Natural: The Ultimate Guide to Caring for and Maintaining Natural Hair.
Here are a few articles you need to check out!
- 5 Reasons You’ll Adore tgin’s New Leave in Conditioner for Natural Hair
- 5 Tips for Making Wash Day Less Stressful
- 10 Deadly Sins of Natural Hair Care
- 25 Protective Natural Hair Styles for Fall
- Fall Detox Tea Recipe
- Five Steps to Change your Natural Hair Care Routine from Summer to Fall
- 10 Halloween Costumes Ideas for Natural Hair
- 6 Simple Ways to Moisturize Your Natural Hair with Water this Winter
- 5 Benefits of Steaming Natural Hair
- Six Steps to Detoxing for Fall
- 7 Ways to Prevent and Treat Heat Damage on Natural Hair
- Our Favorite Fall Nail Lacquers for 2015
- Pumpkin and Vanilla Detox Smoothie